The Jardin du Luxembourg is an urban park located in the famous district of the Odeon in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. It was built in 1612 at the request of Maria de Medici who wanted a park around the Palais du Luxembourg. During the First Empire, Jean-François-Thérèse Chalgrin restored the park. Since then, it belongs to the French Senate.
The park covers 23 hectares. along Boulevard St-Michel, with 21 hectares open to the public. The gardens are dominated by a large octagonal pond. Besides the terraces, the main roads and the statues, the park also has an outdoor café, a puppet theater, tennis courts, a musical tent and a beekeeping school.
The tranquility of the park attracts many students who are studying or reading on the iron chairs around the pond during the week. On weekends and especially on Sundays, the Jardin du Luxembourg is the domain of families with children.
There are more than 100 statues in the park, including the Reines de France series and the female illustrations of Eugène Oudiné.
Address: Rue de Medicis - Rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris.
RER (train): Luxembourg.
Bus: 21, 27, 38, 58, 82, 83, 84, 85, 89.
From Hotel Migny: 25 minutes by metro.