The Sainte-Chapelle is a chapel located on the Île de la Cité in Paris.

The chapel was built between 1243 and 1248 in the Gothic style Radiant. At that time, the Sainte-Chapelle formed the chapel of the court of the royal palace of Louis IX.

Louis IX acquired the crown of the thorns of the emperor of Constantinople in 1239 (which costs him more than the construction of the Sainte-Chapelle) and in 1241 acquired other relics, including a fragment of sacred blood, a holy spear and the true Cross of Christ. For these relics, he made the Sainte-Chapelle.


Exterior of the Sainte-Chapelle:
Nowadays, the chapel is surrounded by the "Palais de Justice".

The building consists of a lower and upper cabinet. The lower chapel was used as a parish church for the staff of the palace, while the upper chapel was designed as a private chapel for the king and his entourage. This chapel has very large stained-glass windows (approximately 670 m²) which illustrate Biblical history. The incoming light creates a mosaic of colors. Many of these windows date back to the 13th century. In the 15th century, the facade was renovated with a large rose window.

Between 1841 and 1867, the chapel was completely restored under the direction of Viollet-le-Duc.

Address: 8 Boulevard du Palais, 75001 Paris.

Metro: Cité.

RER: Saint-Michel - Notre Dame.

Bus: 21, 27, 38, 85, 96, Balabus

From Hotel Migny: 25 minutes on foot.

Book your ticket